This past Sunday, we kicked off our own Advent season with the lighting of the first of five candles, a reflection, and prayer. In case you don’t know, Advent is the season dedicated to the “arrival” (or “advent”) of Jesus’ coming, leading up to our celebration of God entering into the fullness of humanity at Christmas.
For us today, Advent has a bit of a double-meaning. We get to enter into the anticipation that God’s people had for the coming of a Savior, which – for us – has already happened. And yet we also get to bring to the forefront the reality that we’re awaiting the return of the Savior to finish the saving work he set out to do 2,000 years ago. We live in the “already-not yet” when the kingdom has already come, and yet it’s not all-encompassing of the world we live in. So we rejoice for that day then, and we long for that day to come!
Many mark this season with a daily or weekly devotional of some sort that helps draw them into the meaning of the season. Below is a list of those kinds of resources that I found and that some of you suggested:
- Good News of Great Joy (John Piper)
- The Dawning of Indestructible Joy (John Piper)
- Advent: The Whole Story (Paul Tripp)
- Advent (The Village Church, TX)
Weekly personal and family/group devotions.
- Seasons: Enter the Story of Jesus (The Village Church, TX)
Full ‘18-’19 liturgical calendar, which begins with Advent 2018.
- The First Days of Jesus: Explore the Story of Christmas (Andreas Kostenberger)
Five sessions that include a video and some reading.
- Truth in the Tinsel: An Advent Experience for Little Hands (eBook)
Daily devotional for kids, including a Scripture reading and ornament.
- Unwrapping the Greatest Gift: A Family Celebration of Christmas (Ann Voskamp)
Daily devotional for families.
- The Greatest Gift: Unwrapping the Full Love Story of Christmas (Ann Voskamp)
Daily devotional for individuals / adults.
Additionally, we have a number of things happening at The Village this Christmas season, most of which are happening next week! Here’s the rundown:
- Wednesday, December 5: Family Worship Night
- Thursday, December 6: Alive After 5 (Caroling on Main Street + Cookie Decorating in Journal Square)
- Friday, December 7: Youth Christmas Party (7th-12th)
- Saturday, December 8: Women’s Christmas Gift Exchange
- Sunday, December 16: Donations for YoungLives Families Due (will be received by moms that Tuesday)
- Sunday, December 23: NO SUNDAY MORNING GATHERING + Christmas Eve Eve Gathering
I love this season in general, but certainly love celebrating it with others at The Village who see it through the same lenses of rejoicing and anticipating. I hope you find yourself immersed in the story of God in a fresh way this year that draws you closer to him, just as he has drawn himself near to us.